The Power of Words!
Every year, we are overflown by books, words and expressions that make us think, that carry us away to another place, that make us forget, for a moment, the reality that surrounds us. To this end, Casino da Póvoa teamed up with Póvoa de Varzim City Council in the most culture-centric event in Portugal, the “Correntes d’Escritas”. Over the course of 3 days, every February, the city fills up with writers, publishers and book lovers, in a clear call to all those for whom words are their life.
Casino da Póvoa names the Literary Prize and awards € 20,000.00 to the winning writer. Recognizing both prose and poetry, the Casino da Póvoa Literary Prize has already been awarded to many winners, among which we highlight:
- The book: O Vento Assobiando nas Gruas, by Lídia Jorge (2007)
- A Terceira Miséria, Hélia Correia, Relógio D’ Água (2013)
- Uma Mentira Mil Vezes Repetida, Manuel Jorge Marmelo, Quetzal (2014)
- • Categorias e outras paisagens, Fernando Echevarría, Afrontamento Publishing (2015)
- Afastar-se, Luísa Costa Gomes, Leya/D. Quixote (2022)
- “O meu corpo humano” – Maria do Rosário Pedreira (2023)
For more information about the “Correntes d’Escritas”, visit: http://www.cm-pvarzim.pt